Broken dependencies: perl-Bio-Graphics

Alex Lancaster alexl at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jan 27 10:36:01 UTC 2009

PN> Hi Alex,

[...]

PN>  Sorry, I thought I checked this package by installing on my
PN> rawhide machine in perl-Bio-Graphics package review. But now I
PN> think I must have missed to check that. You need to package both
PN> dependencies also.  1) http://search.cpan.org/~lds/Bio-SCF-1.01/
PN> 2) http://search.cpan.org/~lds/GBrowse-1.987/

Thanks,

Actually I'm pretty sure this is a mistake upstream because
Bio::Graphics is supposed to be independent of those packages and I
think the maintainer intended these deps to be optional for the
package.

For the time-being I have simply removed those files (which are
standalone modules not needed by other parts of the module) and
rebuilt for rawhide which fixes the broken deps:

I have also reported this upstream:

http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/bioperl-l/2009-January/029055.html

so they can address the issue there.

Basically Bio::Graphics was split out of BioPerl as of BioPerl 1.6.0
and is now a separate module and the intention of this package is to
simply restore the functionality that the older 1.5.2 release had,
i.e.:

perl-bioperl-1.5.2      =   perl-bioperl-1.6.0 + perl-Bio-Graphics
(currently in <= F-10)      (in rawhide)

Packaging GBrowse is non-trivial because it requires more unpackaged
CPAN modules and as I said, Bio::Graphics is supposed to be
installable without it (or Bio::SCF).  Eventually I will get around to
packaging GBrowse and Bio::SCF, but not for the moment.

Alex