rpms/perl-DBIx-Class-DynamicDefault/devel perl-DBIx-Class-DynamicDefault.spec, 1.1, 1.2

Chris Weyl cweyl at alumni.drew.edu
Fri Jun 26 20:27:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Yanko Kaneti <yaneti at declera.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-06-26 at 11:08 -0700, Chris Weyl wrote:
> > What Ralf is rather vigorously saying is that both by convention and
> > explicit guideline, due to the fluid nature of perl-* packages they're
> > supposed to own everything they provide under %{perl_vendorarch} or
> > %{perl_vendorlib}.  Specifying ownership of a subset of that is
> > considered a blocker at review and a packaging bug post-review...
> > It's just a packging issue, it has nothing to do with the relationship
> > between DBIC and DBIC::DynamicDefault.
> >

> I read the guidelines again and think I understand what you mean.
> I gotta say tho, whats written in the guidelines is not nearly explicit
> enough to convey the message.
> "there are several instances where it's desirable for multiple packages
> to own a directory"   desirable, really....
> "perl packages are permitted to share ownership of directories."
> permitted, how nice.
>
> Its rather counter intuitive to the way that almost anything else works.
> Unless there is a bold "must" somewhere there, and perhaps a rpmlint
> warning I think this will come back again and again.

As it is right now :)  (What is it the Cylons say?  All this has happened
before, and all this will happen again?)

You're right in that It's not a listed as a must, but a should... Even
though it is enforced as a must through reviews and packaging bugs. It all
basically boils down to that a package providing "perl(DBIx::Class)" doesn't
actually tell you exactly where DBIx/Class.pm is located, only that it's
somewhere under @INC.

There's actually a few things I'd like rpmlint to catch -- like, say,
provides being issued for shared libs not in traditional "system paths"
(/usr/lib, etc) -- but I'm not holding my breath for it.

                                     -Chris
--
Chris Weyl
Ex astris, scientia