rpms/perl-Sort-Versions/devel perl-Sort-Versions.spec,1.9,1.10

Ralf Corsépius corsepiu at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 19 14:09:02 UTC 2009

Stepan Kasal wrote:
> Hi Ralf,
>
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 02:32:59PM +0100, Ralf Corsépius wrote:
>>>  for f in Changes Versions.pm; do
>>> -	iconv -f iso-8859-1 -t utf-8 <$f >${f}_ && mv ${f}_ $f
>>> +	iconv -f iso-8859-1 -t utf-8 <$f >${f}_ &&
>>> +	touch -r $f ${f}_ &&
>>> +	mv ${f}_ $f
>>>  done
>>>  %changelog
>>> +* Thu Mar 19 2009 Stepan Kasal <skasal at redhat.com> - 1.5-11
>>> +- fix timestamps of the recoded text files
>> Why this change? Adjusting timestamps on perl modules is painting bikesheds.
>
> OTOH, touching changelog during rpm build is not a good idea, so the
> recode command should preserve the timestamp.
Wrong.

a) These files exist only once => There is no bug you are fixing.

b) After you iconv'ed a file, it alread is different from the original file.

c) Perl files are being copied around when building.

d) Perl files are not multilib'ed.

> By fixing my recent commit, I made a note to self to do the
> 	iconv && touch && mv
> right next type I'll use it somewhere.
I am considering to revert your change.

> (Hopefully, this thread will alse help me to remember better.)

> I agree the importance of this change is close to 0, yet I think it
> was not a mistake to cmmit it.
You are underestimating the impact of such infantile changes.

* They drive off packagers - At least, I am close to orphaning this
package because of what you did.
Feel free to assign it to you.

* They fuel those kids, who believe in timestamp fixing.

Ralf

Ralf