Overriding core modules...

Chris Weyl cweyl at alumni.drew.edu
Mon Mar 23 18:01:49 UTC 2009

So, a couple days ago I packaged up and submitted perl-autodie, with an eye
towards geting perl-Git-CPAN-Patch in.  autodie provides a new Fatal.pm that
needs to override core Fatal; which is easy enough now that we have[1] @INC
basically matching site, vendor, core in F-9+.  AFACIT the new Fatal is
cleanly usable in any Fedora situation without needing code modifications on
the user's part, is only installed when someone actively chooses to install
it (or something else pulls it in as a prereq), doesn't conflict with any
files owned by any other package, and doesn't need any deep magic to get it
working.

Ralf, you had some objections on the review ticket.  Would you care to
elaborate here?

                              -Chris

[1] Or will shortly have. There are some variations in @INC between the
releases, but only with respect to additional library paths we provide;
site, vendor, core order is maintained.
--
Chris Weyl
Ex astris, scientia