private so provides filtering...

Chris Weyl cweyl at alumni.drew.edu
Sun May 24 19:29:40 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 5:41 AM, Iain Arnell <iarnell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 9:39 AM, Chris Weyl <cweyl at alumni.drew.edu> wrote:
> >
> > http://fedorapeople.org/~cweyl/macros.perl<http://fedorapeople.org/%7Ecweyl/macros.perl>
> [snip]
> > If the macros look sane, I'll open a RFE bug against the perl package to
> ask
> > that it be bundled and delivered as /etc/rpm/macros.perl.
>
> Wonderful. Certainly looks sane and appears to be working as expected.

Good.  RPM macros always hurt my brain a little bit :)

Would also be sensible to update the specfile templates in rpmdevtools
> and cpanspec (and others?) to include this by default. And presumably
> packages relying on this would also need something along the lines of
> BuildRequires: config(perl).

A couple things work in our favour here.  If we use the core perl package to
deliver the macros to /etc/rpm/macros.perl, then for any other perl package
we build we're covered.  If a non-perl package wants to use it, then they're
covered as well: either by requiring perl explicitly or simply relying on
perl always being in the buildroot (which it is).

So, once the new macro file is out there we'll be able to use them anywhere
without needing to explicitly require anything new...  Though a conditional
invokation is probably best for a while.  If other packages start to use
them widescale, that will give us leverage to have them included in the rpm
package.

                                     -Chris
--
Chris Weyl