Perl in mock buildroot

Chris Weyl cweyl at alumni.drew.edu
Mon May 25 18:49:33 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 8:02 AM, Stepan Kasal <skasal at redhat.com> wrote:

> perl is brought to the root as a dependency of rpm-build, that
> contains perl scripts to search for automatic dependencies.
> Actually, I have a plan to replace those by an awk script or
> something, so that perl does not have to be installed to all mock
> buildroots.

So that's something to keep in mind, for other packages.  But I doubt this
is going to happen any time soon (yes?) and we're talking about solving our
filtering problems here.  Having the solution general enough to both address
our needs and the needs of other areas of packaging helps keep things simple
for us, and will make it easier down the road to get the macros merged with
core rpm.  But right now, while we want the solution to be general enough
that others can use it, we're mostly focused on fixing our perl-* bits (at
least I am).

And, presumably, as you're the one looking to rewrite those scripts, we'll
know when rpm is going to not require perl by :)

                                                       -Chris
--
Chris Weyl
Ex astris, scientia