Perl RPM Requires/Provides

Dave Cross dave at dave.org.uk
Fri Oct 16 19:51:40 UTC 2009

As I understand it, the current version of rpmbuild works generates the
Requires and Provides definitions for an RPM by parsing the Perl code
and working out which modules are used (for Requires) or defined (for
Provides).

I don't want to get into a discussion of the rights or wrongs of this
approach, but for my own RPMs, I'd like to experiment with creating the
Requires and Provides definitions by parsing the META.yml file.

I've found three files in /usr/lib/rpm - perldeps.pl, perl.prov and
perl.req - which seem to do the work, so I assume these are the files
I'll need to replace.

Can someone please confirm that these are the files that I need to work
on and (even better) point me at some documentation for how these
programs are called - what inputs and outputs are expected, stuff like that.

Also, is there a way to provide my own replacement for these files
without just overwriting them. I'd rather not fiddle directly with
system supplied code.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave...