[Fedora-python-devel-list] [Fwd: Python SIG mailing list/packaging mayavi2]

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 23:46:37 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> As a scientific user....who is writing pythonic codebases for data
> analysis and visualization...
>
> I'd rather see us have a plan to incorporate the all of enthought's
> software base in a meaningful way... instead of cherry picking the 3d
> visualization stuff specifically.
> Enthought's stuff is a framework that should probably go in as a collection.
>
> https://svn.enthought.com/enthought/
>
> There's a lot there... and its introduction as a collection of software
> needs to be organized.
>

> If I were even going to touch it as a user, at a bare minimum I need to
> know whether this framework layers over scipy and numpy.

I talked to several Enthought people about packaging at PyCon.  I think
if we talk to them about their products they'd be very interested in
working with us to get their framework into Fedora in a coherent state.
  However, I don't know anything about scientific computing so I'm not
the ideal candidate for working on this.

Jef, if you have time to take point on coordinating this, I could
introduce you to Dave Peterson and see if we could get some
collaboration going.

-Toshio