[Fwd: Python SIG mailing list/packaging mayavi2]

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Sun Mar 30 20:11:45 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 05:32:19PM -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> Now that most of us are here, let's get started.

Thanks Ignacio

> I received this email from someone wanting to get mayavi2 included in
> Fedora. It certainly looks like an interesting piece of software. Anyone
> want to try their hand at it?

I must stress that the website is a horrible mess (I am working on it
right now, but there is a fair amount of work). The installation
procedure may not seem clear, but please send e mail either to the
mailing list ( https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev
) or directly to me if you want any clarification.

As far of the packaging, mayavi2 is just the top of the iceberg of a set
of tools to develop scientific applications using Python (the ETS). This
set of tools is broken in many different Python modules, but there are a
fair amount, and when packaging for Debian we decided to group the
fonctionnalities. The relevant Debian packages are
python-enthought-traits, python-enthought-traits-ui mayavi2 and
python-enthought-chaco. I don't know how easy it is for you guy to figure
out what was done for Debian packaging in order to group these packages.
I didn't do it myself, althought I bootstrapped the process, so I cannot
help you too much. One thing I did do to bootstrap the packaging, was
creating tarballs to work around the setuptools automatic downloading of
dependencies (a pain for packagers). You can find these on
http://code.enthought.com/downloads/source/ets2.7/ I try to keep them up
to date, but it is best too avoid using them, as they have been stripped
of setuptools as a runtime dependecy.

I am away for the week end (back on Sunday night). Appart from this
break, I am really looking forward to building great packages for these
tools on Fedora.

Thanks,

Gaël

PS: Actually, there was a small glitch with e-mail, so I am sending this
after coming back from week end.