[Fedora-packaging] Proposal: naming convention for Python 3 packages and subpackages

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 2 06:03:58 UTC 2009

On 10/30/2009 05:11 PM, David Malcolm wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 10:28 +0100, Tim Lauridsen wrote:

>>> for the
>>>
>>> python-<package>  ->  python3-<package>
>>> py<package>  ->  python3-py<package>  (I think we should keep the py to
>>> make it easier to locate stuff pygpgme)
>>> <package>-python ->  python3-<package>
>>>
>>> Seem good to me.
>>>
>>> But there is a lot of packages installing stuff into
>>> /usr/lib/pythonX-Y/site-packages there don't fit 3 cases.
>>>
>>> Ex. yum
>>>
>>> It is an application, but also an python API used by other packages, how
>>> do we handle there cases.
>>>
>>> I have attacted the the sorted output from
>>>
>>> repoquery -f '/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/*'
>>>
>>> Tim
>>>

>> I have added a ordered file categorizing the packages in
>>

> Very nice, thanks!
>
> In my email I said "Python 3 module packages and subpackages", and I'm
> not being very precise about this.
>
> Can a distinction can be drawn between an rpm that "merely" packages a
> python module?   I think that many of our rpms have payloads that are
> entirely below:
>    /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages
>    /usr/share/doc/NAME-VERSION
> I suspect that most of the packages within these lists fall into this
> category:
>    "Packages starting with 'python-':"
>    "Packages starting with 'Py' or 'py' (but not 'python-')"
>    "Packages ending with '-python':" (most of these seem to be
> subpackages from a mostly non-python build)

+1
> Contrast this with the "None of the above:" category.  At a quick look,
> most of the packages in this list appear to be using python as an
> implementation detail, in order to get some user-facing job done.  For
> these, I feel we'd port them one-by-one, and the name need not change.

+1
> A complication/exception in this last category is for plugin systems and
> "stacks".  For example, yum and its various plugins/extensions don't
> mention python in their name, but they're written in python 2.
> Similarly, Django and the various django-foo packages implement the
> Django web development framework, which happens to be written in python
> 2 (hopefully will eventually have python 3 support), and "trac-foo".  My
> gut feeling for both of these cases is that we'd want python 2 and 3
> versions for a while, so perhaps a python3- prefix is ok.  That would
> give us e.g.:
> python3-trac-privateticketsplugin
> python3-TurboGears
> python3-TurboGears2
> python3-yum

The plan for yum is to stay with python 2.x until RHEL6 is branched and
then switch to python 3.x for the
yum head branch. (not writen in stone yet )
I don't think we will ever have both a python 2.x and 3.x version in the
same distro, so it will fall into the previous
category and can keep the name yum.

> I noticed "wxPython" in the "none of the above" naming bucket.  This one
> definitely feels like a support module, rather than a thing to be used
> in its own right (python bindings to the wxWidgets library).
>    - wxPython3 ?
>    - python3-wx ?
> etc  not sure; maybe depends on upstream.

I think i should be python3-wxPython, because people seaching for
wxPython will find both and can make the right choice.
> Does the "purely a module" vs "is something uservisible" vs "is a stack"
> distinction sound sane?

  Yes.

Tim