[Fedora-packaging] Proposal: naming convention for Python 3 packages and subpackages

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 30 08:57:02 UTC 2009

On 10/30/2009 01:15 AM, David Malcolm wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 18:42 -0400, John Dennis wrote:
>> On 10/29/2009 06:27 PM, David Malcolm wrote:
>>
>>> I rather like the idea of standardizing on a "python3-" prefix for _all_
>>> Python 3 module packages and subpackages, even if this leads to
>>> inconsistencies with their counterparts in the python 2 stack.  It would
>>> make the "threeness" of the packages stand out more.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?

for the

python-<package>  -> python3-<package>
py<package>       -> python3-py<package> (I think we should keep the py to make it easier to locate stuff pygpgme)
<package>-python  -> python3-<package>

Seem good to me.

But there is a lot of packages installing stuff into /usr/lib/pythonX-Y/site-packages there don't fit 3 cases.

Ex. yum

It is an application, but also an python API used by other packages, how do we handle there cases.

I have attacted the the sorted output from

repoquery -f '/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/*'

Tim