New pacage, not sure where to start, or pehaps I have started but don't know where to end

Scott McCarty smccarty at eyemg.com
Thu Sep 17 17:07:33 UTC 2009

All,
	I am working on distributing a log analysis utility  wrote called petit
(http://opensource.eyemg.com/index.php/Petit). Currently, I am treating it
more like a regular application than a python module because it comes with
several/many data files that make it work correctly.

I created a make file, for my sanity, to help in creating RPMs and DEBs. Since
my package is not in Fedora or Debian, etc, it makes it difficult for me to
use/build without having the make file. I then build RPMs and distribute them
to all of my RHEL5 servers, but it works on my Fedora desktop too. The problem
is, I have detected that this is not standard for Fedora packages.

I am torn on what the right vs. practical way of handling the packaging is and
I would like to make it compatible with Fedora so that it could eventually be
distributed. I have read through the Fedora packaging guidelines for Python
and understand the basic concepts, but I am not sure if I should even
distribute this as a python module. Perhaps, in a perfect world, I would have
my Makefile/build tools to create up to date RPMs/Debs, and it might also make
a distutils version for Fedora & Debian packagers?

I am looking for some advise/thoughts if any body has time.

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate any help.
Scott M

--
Scott McCarty
EYEMG.com LLC - Interactive Media Group