[Fedora Robotics] Welcome to the world of robotics in Fedora

Tim Niemueller tim at niemueller.de
Thu May 15 07:45:07 UTC 2008

Hi Jeff and Arindam.

As you see the mailing list has been created and we can start
discussing! Here are the first notes I'd like to share.

I could not resist and gave packaging Player a try. It's not done yet
but I hope to have something this weekend but there is another
appointment and thus I don't know for sure. Additionally there was an
F-9 installation and new stuff to play with slowing me down a bit :-)
Arindam, what's your progress on Player?

I've talked to the guy who used Player/Gazebo in our project: the
problem that he faced was, that when adding a new sensor model, it would
only be compiled if it was used in another model. Seems to be a buildsys
related issue that has to be re-evaluated.

We should have a look anyway about proper ways to extend the base
functionality of Gazebo and if this can be done without using the source
of Gazebo. All that should be necessary is a yet-to-be-defined -devel
package. It should also provide some well-known paths where to put
custom code, like /usr/lib{,64}/gazebo/... and ~/.gazebo/... This may
need some tweaking but I don't know. Jeff, this would be something you
intern could look into, right?

Regards from Aachen,
	Tim

--