[Fedora Robotics] I have the Tech Challenge Robotics Kit in hand

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri May 16 00:10:17 UTC 2008

So I saw my teacher friend.
I have what I think is the entire $900 kit based on the Lego
mindstorms NXT which should be the kit uses in next year's
Tech Challenge.

Here's the blog concerning the new platform
http://www.firsttechchallenge.blogspot.com/

I'm going to try to leverage my Fedora Board creds, and see if I can
get a line of communication going with the people behind the new
platform.

I'm sure you've seen the Mindstorm NXT kit.  The new tech challenge
platform consists of the mindstorms kit with an additional
motor/sensors/servo multiplexor box that communicates via i2C back to
the main NXT brick.  Raise your hand if you are experienced with i2c
communication for robotics.

On top of that you get the metal structural hardware to put a somewhat
robust robot together so you don't have to use plastic lego components
as main structural elements.  I'll take pictures of what I have in
hand. Its not pretty, its a de-commissioned robot they used in April
at the demo competition in Atlanta.

So big picture time.....  Getting player/stage to be able to model a
specific mindstorm nxt configuration and then being able to use
player/stage to control the that mindstorm nxt configuration via
bluetooth would be...dreamy.

-jef