[Fedora Robotics] Updated player packages

Rich Mattes richmattes at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 01:07:08 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I've been talking to Tim about getting the latest versions of Player,
Stage, and Gazebo in the Fedora repos.  After much work, I was finally
able to get a .spec file put together for Player-3.0.0.  I've uploaded
my .spec and SRPM to http://www.richmattes.com/rpms  You can try them
out, they should build and install just fine.  If they're up to snuff,
you can feel free to use them as a basis for a Player 3.0 release on Fedora.

When player transitioned to CMake, they hard-coded the library install
path as $prefix/lib in several places.  I had add some logic to
determine whether Cmake was running on x86_64 or ppc64, and then replace
lib with lib64 if it was.  Then i had to go through and find every
hard-coded "/lib" and replace it with my new variable.  A little
annoying, but the result is a version of Player 3.0.0 that builds
successfully for dist-f11 on koji. (see the buildlog at
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=1740188)

I've also been talking to Tim about becoming a co-maintainer for
Player.  I contacted the Fedora-Packagers list, and in order to become a
co-maintainer I still have to be sponsored.  I'm going to submit gearbox
9.07 in the coming weeks in an effort to become sponsored, once I do we
can add that to Player's BuildRequires, and then I'll get to work on
Stage and Gazebo.

I went ahead and added myself and a few things to the Robotics SIG wiki
page.  I also updated Player's feature matrix at
http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/wiki/LinuxRoboticsStudio, but I don't
think anyone looks there anymore.

Rich Mattes