[Fedora Robotics] RFC: Location for Player config files

Tim Niemueller tim at niemueller.de
Thu Oct 22 21:24:25 UTC 2009

Hi all.

I have integrated Rich's modifications to upgrade the Player package to
3.0.0. I ran into a problem I'd like to discuss here. Toby, please have
a look as you might give some insight as upstream developer.

By default the config files are now installed to
/usr/share/player/config. For Player 2.1.0 the configs were installed to
/etc/player/config, which seems more reasonable.

What is the reasoning for moving them? Since this are regular config
files which might be modified I see no reason to put them in /usr/share.
The Linux FHS states that /usr/share is for "all read-only architecture
independent data files" (cf.
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#PURPOSE26). It seems that
this does not apply to the config files. What do you think?

Regards,
	Tim

--
    Tim Niemueller <tim at niemueller.de>      www.niemueller.de