[Fedora Robotics] RFC: Location for Player config files

Hedayat Vatankhah hedayatv at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 22:14:47 UTC 2009

Hi,

On ۰۹/۱۰/۲۳  12:54, Tim Niemueller wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I have integrated Rich's modifications to upgrade the Player package to
> 3.0.0. I ran into a problem I'd like to discuss here. Toby, please have
> a look as you might give some insight as upstream developer.
>
> By default the config files are now installed to
> /usr/share/player/config. For Player 2.1.0 the configs were installed to
> /etc/player/config, which seems more reasonable.
>
> What is the reasoning for moving them? Since this are regular config
> files which might be modified I see no reason to put them in /usr/share.
> The Linux FHS states that /usr/share is for "all read-only architecture
> independent data files" (cf.
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#PURPOSE26). It seems that
> this does not apply to the config files. What do you think?

Just my personal opinion:
At the first look, I thought that the new place is not suitable for
config files; but after a very brief look at them, I feel that the new
place is not bad too. I think these configuration files are not there to
be modified. They are created for special purposes (e.g. a specific
robot), so someone with new requirements should create a new config file
and so these config files are not going to be modified. If that is
correct, so putting these config files in /usr/share is OK. But the user
must not put his own configuration files in that directory. So, either
he should be able to put his config files in any directory (probably
somewhere in his home directory) or below /etc.

If all what I said applies to these configuration files, I think they
completely satisfy "read only architecture independent data files".

Thanks,
Hedayat