Hints for working with CVEs?

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat May 6 16:45:55 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-06 at 09:33 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> VS> What kind of things would you like to produce out of that?
>
> A couple of ideas:
>
> Produce a simple summary with one or two lines of text per entry that
> could be scanned quickly by a human.

That sounds like something that could be done with XSLT.  See attachment
for a _really_ simple XSL, and run it like:

xsltproc nvdcve-recent.xsl http://nvd.nist.gov/download/nvdcve-recent.xml

> Unfortunately my knowledge of XML is so limited that I don't understand
> how you'd use the schema to generate a parser, but I'll try to figure
> that out.

Here's some pointers:
Java: http://xmlbeans.apache.org/
C++: http://codesynthesis.com/projects/xsd/
Python: http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman/generateDS.html

I've only used XMLBeans myself, the rest were found by quick Googling.
There are probably similar things available for other languages too.