kernel RPM install avc message

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Thu Apr 1 05:48:47 UTC 2004

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 14:38, Dax Kelson <dax at gurulabs.com> wrote:
> I have a fresh FC2T2 install. I did the following to make up2date work:
>
> /usr/bin/setfilecon system_u:object_r:rpm_exec_t /usr/sbin/up2date
>
> Then I ran "up2date-nox kernel"
>
> The following appeared. It seems the kernel did install OK.
>
> audit(1080787992.351:0): avc:  denied  { search } for  pid=20375
> exe=/bin/bash name=root dev=hda8 ino=179873
> scontext=root:sysadm_r:bootloader_t
> tcontext=root:object_r:staff_home_dir_t tclass=dir
> /bin/bash: /root/.bashrc: Permission denied

What was the working directory at the time you ran up2date?  Was
it /home/something?

We don't want to grant such domains wide access, and we also don't want large
dontaudit rules (they increase the size of the policy, increase kernel memory
use, etc).

Is it acceptable that sometimes if you run something from an unusual directory
then it will cause an audit message?