SELinux for RHEL3

Bill McCarty bmccarty at pt-net.net
Mon Apr 5 22:48:37 UTC 2004

Hi all,

My question is somewhat off topic, but I hope that it can nevertheless be
indulged. Some time ago, SELinux packages for RHEL 3 had been available on
people.redhat.com. I successfully installed SELinux on several RHEL 3
systems using these packages. However, the packages that currently reside
there don't work under RHEL 3. I've tried various cheats, such as using FC
2 packages, compiling source RPMs, etc. But, so far, everything I've tried
is no-go for at least some of the necessary packages.

Do RHEL 3 packages for SELinux currently exist? If so, where can they be
obtained? If not, must we wait for RHEL 4 to obtain compatible SELinux
packages? Or, is there a chance of another experimental release for RHEL 3?

I myself don't mind hacking the SRPMs or whatever a bit. But, the available
packages seem to be bound to a variety of versions of automake and
autoconf. Hence, it's very troublesome to coax all of them into compiling
on the same host <g>. The coreutils package is especially troublesome; if
SELinux packages aren't available I suspect that I'll have to patch the
RHEL 3 coreutils sources. But I can't see when I'll have time to do so <g>.
So, any pointers are most welcome!

Cheers,

Bill McCarty, Ph.D.
Professor of Information Technology