SELinux for RHEL3

Bill McCarty bmccarty at pt-net.net
Mon Apr 12 21:01:49 UTC 2004

Hi Russell,

--On Monday, April 12, 2004 11:46 PM +1000 Russell Coker
<russell at coker.com.au> wrote:

> Fedora Core is going to be the base for future RHEL releases.  Fedora
> Core 2  Test 2 is currently the best available distribution for SE Linux,
> it has an  option in the GUI installer for installing SE Linux (default
> is "on" for this  release, maybe something different for the next test
> release), and the policy  supports all the most common tasks you will
> want to perform.

So far I've worked with SELinux under Debian Sid, Debian Woody, Gentoo,
RHEL 3, and now FC2T2. Not being content with one toe in the water <g>, I'm
already running two FC2T2 hosts and expect soon to have more--including
several honeypots, as I'm a honeynet researcher.

Commenting as a disinterested party, I affirm that you're absolutely right
in your high estimation of FC2T2's SELinux implementation. FC2T2 SELinux
rocks, especially for those new to SELinux!

> To achieve your goals of generally learning about Red Hat and SE Linux
> your  best option is to just download some ISOs of FC2T2.  There are no
> plans of  integrating SE Linux into RHEL 3 as well as it is integrated
> into Fedora, and  RHEL 4 will be longer than you want to wait.

Actually, in the case of RHEL 3, I was hoping to deploy, more than to
learn. I obviously understand that the RHEL 3 packages that were once
available are unsupported beta (alpha?) software. But, that's good enough
for some of my purposes <g>.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Cheers,

Bill McCarty, Ph.D.