sshd -- cannot relabel with system_u:object_r:sshd_devpts_t

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Tue Apr 13 14:26:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:03, Tom Mitchell <mitch48 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I just killed a remote terminal window and noted this message triple in the
> log/messages:
>
>     sshd(pam_unix)[30912]: session opened for user root by (uid=0)
>
>     sshd[30912]: Warning!  Could not relabel  with
> system_u:object_r:sshd_devpts_t, not relabeling.

What version of pam do you have installed?  It should not even be trying to
relabel a pty back to it's original type.  The idea is that if someone
exploits a copy of sshd we want to make it as difficult as possible to trick
it into granting access to another user's session.  Allowing sshd to label
terminals back from userpty_type makes things easier for an attacker.

> If this is what I think it is sshd will slowly run out of available ptys.

I've noticed that 2.6 kernels don't seem to reuse pty numbers until they reach
some large number.  I don't think that there's any problem of running out of
available ptys, it seems to handle things the same way in permissive and
enforcing modes.