Domains, interpreted languages, and Cron scripts

Bill McCarty bmccarty at pt-net.net
Sat Aug 14 19:40:11 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I've run into an architectural headache that someone else must already have
visited, and perhaps solved. But, I find no mention of the problem in list
archives or elsewhere.

I have several Python scripts that run under Cron. Some of these scripts
access or modify sensitive data, and so I'd like to define one or more
domains by means of which to limit their privileges. However, the exe name
associated with such scripts is /usr/bin/python2.3, rather than the name of
the script. Consistent with the principle of least privilege, I'd prefer to
define distinct domains for each script, rather than an overly broad
python_t domain, for instance.

Has anyone else been here already? What techniques are useful for
constraining the privileges given to scripts?

One idea: Would it be a good thing to modify Run-parts to transition to a
domain named for the Cron script it launches? Doing so would seem to solve
my problem, but it might create others <g>.

Thanks,

--
Bill McCarty, Ph.D.
Professor of Information Technology