Fedora and udev

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Aug 23 18:49:12 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 12:09 +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> Thanks for that advice.  Once I looked at that I noticed that there's an
> option UDEV_RAMFS in the same file which must be set to "no".  I'm not sure
> whether UDEV_RAMFS="no" would allow it to work on SE Linux with
> UDEV_INITRD="yes" but don't have any plans to test this at the moment.
>
> We either need to get ramfs working in the Fedora kernels or make some changes
> to the udev plans.
>
> One option would be to use an ext2 file system on a ram disk for udev.  It
> would do all the same stuff as ramfs (at a slightly higher memory cost) and
> work perfectly with SE Linux.

It has a number of other, not really desired side effects as well.
1) Kernel people don't really like ramdisks anymore
2) Doing this requires mke2fs in the initramfs.  Bleah.
3) It puts an artificial cap on the size of your /dev that then has to
be adjustable.  And the cap is related to an overhead of memory usage.
This is ugly to get "right"

Jeremy