Fedora and udev

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Mon Aug 23 22:44:44 UTC 2004

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 06:34:57PM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 11:05:27AM -0400, Joshua Brindle wrote:
> > I posted a patch here that pebenito did a while back for ramfs and lkcl
> > also did one for tmpfs (which may be better for /dev since it's swappable)
> > both are mostly cut and paste jobs but they add the necessary support.
> >
> > I'd like to reiterate though, that udev support for selinux is *broken*!
> > if the correct policy isn't in place you will cause race conditions
>
>  udev is so completely full of race conditions - known to the
>  developers even _without_ selinux - that the general consensus
>  seems to be that a few more really won't hurt.

Huh?  I know of no such thing.

Without SELinux, and with the recent patch on the hotplug mailing list,
I know of no race conditions in the current udev code.

Please let me know what you are talking about (and don't use my
gentoo.org address, it's not my main one at all...)

>  plus, i patched udev (0.030) to add in proper support for selinux
>  (attached previously in first response to russell's post).

Please fix that patch up to:
	- not have any ifdef in the .c files
	- use the proper coding style
	- use the same convention as the other build flags have.

Actually, what was wrong with the older selinux support in udev that was
there?  Why not just dig that stuff up and see if it works or not (I bet
it does...)  If so, I'll be glad to add it back in, it's just that too
many people complained about it when it was in there...

Oh, and udev does not require a ramfs, or tmpfs at all, that's just how
the distro decided to use it.

thanks,

greg k-h