rpc.mountd failure...

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sun Aug 29 07:47:47 UTC 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 01:34, Tom London <selinux at comcast.net> wrote:
> Noticed the following, running .524 kernel and latest policy from Rawhide.
>
> > Aug 23 08:20:18 fedora nfs: Starting NFS services:  succeeded
> > Aug 23 08:20:18 fedora nfs: rpc.rquotad startup succeeded
> > Aug 23 08:20:18 fedora nfs: rpc.nfsd startup succeeded
> > Aug 23 08:20:18 fedora kernel: audit(1093274418.647:0): avc:  denied
> > { name_bind } for  pid=2564 exe=/usr/sbin/rpc.mountd
> > scontext=system_u:system_r:nfsd_t
> > tcontext=system_u:object_r:ipp_port_t tclass=udp_socket
> > Aug 23 08:20:18 fedora portmap[2565]: connect from 127.0.0.1 to
> > set(mountd): request from unprivileged port
> > Aug 23 08:20:18 fedora rpc.mountd: unable to register (mountd, 3, udp).
> > Aug 23 08:20:18 fedora nfs: rpc.mountd startup failed
> > Aug 23 08:20:18 fedora rpcidmapd: rpc.idmapd -SIGHUP succeeded

I think that this is a lack in the kernel code.

We have to prevent such access because otherwise if the NFS server is started
or re-started when cups is not running then cups will be prevented from
working at all.  Also in some situations you might have a running NFS server
with no cups installed and want to install it without rebooting.

When the kernel code selects an arbitary port to bind to it should only select
from the set of ports that the application in question is permitted to bind
to.  This would also permit us to restrict an application to two ports (I
believe that restricting to only one port would not work well for a restart)
via the SE Linux policy and then use firewall rules controlling access to
those two ports (currently trying to control access to an RPC service via
iptables is really difficult).