[idea] udev + selinux

Jim McCullough jim.mccullough at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 21:18:05 UTC 2004

This should be of great assistance with two home projects currently
and  1 work project due to the filesystem types.  I am still working
through size issues and further locking down the images.

Project 1 = SE Linux image for Netgear MR314 Wireless Lan Router
Project 2 = SE Linux image for Cisco 2501 Router
Project 3 = Debian Sarge Server build on SGI Octane with reiserfs (
Work for Network Management Server )

Thanks,
Jim McCullough

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:02:10 +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 03:26:43PM -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 15:18, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> > >  i think we need the input of more experienced people than us to
> > >  say why these associate things are needed.
> >
> > It provides control over the set of files that can live in a given
> > filesystem, based on their security types (equivalence classes).  As you
> > are now creating device types in a different filesystem type, further
> > allow rules are needed to allow that association.
> >
> > >  a correct implementation of the
> > >  hacked-together-relaxed-fscontext-hooks.c-patch results in an atomic
> > >  operation (mount with a new context which would otherwise need to be
> > >  achieved with two commands: mount followed by restorecon)
> >
> > The more important issue is that fscontext= lets you set the superblock
> > security context, not just the root directory context.  restorecon can't
> > do that.
>
>  ah.
>
>  thanks for clarifying, steven.
>
>  l.