Boot Fedora with Loadlin in Win98.

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Dec 19 06:32:43 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 21:07 +0100, Moller wrote:
> Hi !
>
> Thanks for the answer Barry Yu, but it's my fault that I didn't specify more clearly what I meant.
>
> I am not using Grub or Lilo as a bootloader because I don't want to mess up my MBR in Windows98, i like to have win98 as first boot.
> I want to use Loadlin, to load the Fedorakernel into memory from Win98-DOS.
> I have done what I suppose to do, according to the Loadlin+Win95/98ME mini-HOWTO(http://www.eskimo.com/~praxis/)
> But it doesn't work properly when I Boot Fedora from Win98-DOS.
> Here is a sample of my bootmessage that I get when I boot with loadlin from win98 to Fedora :
>
> NET: Registered protocol family 17
> md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
> md: autorun ...
> md:  ...autorun DONE.
> EXT2-fs: hda3: Couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (4).
> Kernel panic - not syncing : VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (3,3).
>
> Then the system go into halt and I have to push my RESET-button to reboot my system back to win98.
>

> So, what to do ?   I need help .........
>
> Is there anyone out there, that starts FedoraCore3 with Loadlin in Windows98, that can help me to configure my system properly ?
>
> Thanks all.
> Philip Moller
> Malmo, Sweden

It seems loadlin may not be compatible with either the ext3 filesystems
or with SELinux.  Since FC3 has the filesystems labeled by SELinux and
anything booting to that must be able to handle the differences this may
be what you need to investigate.

It is extremely easy to use grub or lilo and dual boot without harming
your win98 system.  I use that regularly and have never had a problem.
If you do, a simple boot with a floppy or win98 install CD and using
"fdisk /mbr" will always restore the MBR to that expected by a windows
install.

Using an older tool that very few people actually use is problematic.