initrc, md0, mapper

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Dec 27 14:00:15 UTC 2004

On Saturday 04 December 2004 03:34, Tom London <selinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Running strict/enforcing, latest rawhide
> (selinux-policy-strict-1.19.10-1)
>
> Booting produces following avc:

It seems that you never got a reply to this one.

> Dec  3 08:23:45 fedora kernel: audit(1102090997.316:0): avc:  denied
> { create } for  pid=1348 exe=/sbin/nash name=md0
> scontext=system_u:system_r:initrc_t
> tcontext=system_u:object_r:device_t tclass=blk_file Dec  3 08:23:45
> fedora kernel: device-mapper: 4.1.0-ioctl (2003-12-10) initialised:
> dm at uk.sistina.com

This is something that still needs a good solution.  We don't want initrc_t to
be able to do such things in the strict policy, so udev seems to be the best
way of doing it.  Maybe getting it added to /sbin/start_udev would be the
best solution?  start_udev already creates a bunch of other device nodes that
are too inconvenient to do in other ways.

Of course due to the usual shell script issues udev_t isn't safe from
initrc_t.  But it's a start at isolating it, we can improve later.

> Dec  3 08:23:45 fedora kernel: audit(1102090997.383:0): avc:  denied
> { create } for  pid=1354 exe=/sbin/nash name=mapper
> scontext=system_u:system_r:initrc_t
> tcontext=system_u:object_r:device_t tclass=dir

That one should have been fixed quite some time ago, before your message was
posted.  Either you hadn't updated to all the latest packages or there is a
corner case we missed.  In either case let me know if it still happens with
the latest rawhide.