FC3 " avc: denied" issue

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Dec 27 15:27:05 UTC 2004

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:12:42 +1100, Russell Coker said:

> If they are producing multiple packages for each distribution then they must
> have the builds automated.  It should be quite easy to make an automatic
> build script that builds RPMs, Debian packages, and any other types of
> package that seem necessary.

As I said, that's the easy part.

> If the interface between kernel and user-space doesn't change then all they
> need to do is have one RPM for the shared objects and a set of RPMs that
> install .ko's in the correct places for each kernel.  You would just have to
> make sure that every time you upgrade your kernel you install the matching
> drivers.  If you didn't install the drivers then the symptom would be a lack
> of 3D graphics which would be easy to fix.

The reason why "they" did it the way "they" did, with one installer for everybody,
was precisely because all the "you" out there would encounter issues with "install
the matching drivers" - what qualifies as "easy to fix" for most readers of this
list results in a call to the vendor for Joe Sixpack.

(Hell, just the last 48 hours I had a mysterious X.org issue caused by two
conflicting NVidia libraries, a crufty one in one directory, a current version
in another, and the symptoms depended on what order ldconfig found things in
ld.so.conf....)