FC3 PostgreSQL update

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Thu Dec 23 11:55:22 UTC 2004

On Saturday 18 December 2004 01:14, Troels Arvin <troels at arvin.dk> wrote:
> Due to a disk-space problem, my /var/lib/pgsql is a symlink to
> /mnt/hda1/pgsql

Sym-links interfere with SE Linux labelling.

If you were to run "restorecon -R /var/lib/pgsql/something" then it should
work.

But the best thing to do is to just not do that.  This is one of the reasons
why I often promove LVM.  LVM allows you to more effectively manage your
storage without those sym-link hacks that cause so much trouble with SE Linux
(and lots of other things too).  This isn't going to fix your current
problem, but may help you next time.  LVM is really good anyway and is
something you will benefit from a lot even if you don't use SE Linux.

> How come a PostgreSQL update breaks what used to work?

I don't know how it could have worked previously without PostgreSQL having
search access to mnt_t.