[Fwd: Re: who provides /etc/sysconfig/selinux?]

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Fri Jun 4 18:30:40 UTC 2004

Stephen Smalley wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 10:53, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
>

>>Todays selinux-polcy-* RPMS attempt to handle the /etc/selinux/config
>>and /etc/sysconfig/selinux files in the post install.
>>
>>Please check them out.
>>

>Shouldn't it default to SELINUX=permissive in the absence of any
>/etc/sysconfig/selinux file?

No, Well the only way this should happen is on a fresh install or a
disabled SELinux box.  I don't like permissive because we end up with to
many false AVC Messages.  A fresh install should put down proper context
and with targeted policy, enforcing should work out of the box.  Also I
have a concern about people forgetting to change permissive to
enforcing, and having a false sence of security.

>Do we need a dependency on the newer libselinux, policycoreutils, and
>SysVinit that are aware of the new policy locations?

Probably.  Any application that uses default contexts needs to use the
new library.