(Non)Domain Transitioning

Kirk Vogelsang kvogelsa at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Jun 14 19:38:51 UTC 2004

I'm having some problems getting the snortcenter agent (miniserv.pl)
to start snort and transition snort to the appropriate snort_t domain.
When miniserv starts snort, snort continues to run in the miniserv
domain, snort_agent_t (domain I created.)

avc messages show miniserv starting snort with execute_no_trans,
which I believe is the problem:

audit(108724131.465:0): avc: denied { execute_no_trans } for pid=7136 exe=/bin//bash path=/usr/tools/adm/packages/snort/bin/snort dev=sda2 ino=256078 scontext=system_u:system_r:snort_agent_t tcontext=system_u:object_r:snort_exec_t tclass=file

When snort is started via run_init, it runs appropriately within the
snort_t domain.  I have:

allow snort_agent_t snort_exec_t:file { read execute entrypoint };
allow snort_agent_t snort_t:process transition;

My question: How do I force a process (snort) to transition to the
correct domain (snort_t) when exec'd from another domain
(snort_agent_t)?

-----
Kirk M. Vogelsang <kvogelsa at ccs.neu.edu>
Northeastern University College of Computer Science