'unable to relabel' in /dev.... MAKEDEV-3.7-2

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Jun 16 15:50:16 UTC 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 03:54:12 EDT, Alan Cox said:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 11:54:24AM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> > I am under the impression that /dev/[tp]ty* are strongly deprecated and not

> > used in any software we ship.  Is it time to completely remove them from
> > Fedora?
>
> Some third party software still uses them. If they don't work with SELinux
> I don't see a problem in them still being there.

Looks like Linus picked up the LEGACY_PTY support back around
2.6.4-rc1 back in February, and nobody's said much about finding anything
that was impacted by it.  At the time, there was a lot of discussion and
not many people mentioned any actual users of BSD ptys....

I don't see any reason that Fedora couldn't change the kernel config default
to 'CONFIG_LEGACY_PTY=n' in the devel tree and see if anybody notices.
It's certainly less intrusive than dropping exec-shield in and seeing who noticed,
and THAT was considered acceptable...