lack of AVC denied messages

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Fri Jun 25 08:26:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:52, Richard Hally <rhally at mindspring.com> wrote:
> Sorry for the reply to my own message.
> After remembering (and using) the 'enableaudit' option for making
> policy, the needed avc denied messages to generate the allow rules were
> produced.
> But this raises the larger question of how are we going to handle the
> dontaudit rules in the future? And how do we distinguish between those
> that are for "harmless" denials and those that are not?

Mozilla is a difficult program in this regard.  In normal operation it will
try to stat() many files and read many directories that you don't want it to
so dontaudit rules are needed.  Then when you get mis-labelled files and
directories you don't see any AVC messages because of the dontaudit rules.

It's especially difficult because it's a program that users run.  If the same
problem occurs with a daemon then the person who runs it can just load a new
policy to investigate it.  The person who has a Mozilla program often does
not have this option.