FC2 SELinux Installation issue (Newbie)

Olga Gelbart rosa at gwu.edu
Fri Jun 25 20:26:16 UTC 2004

Hello everyone,
    Sorry for a newbie question. I have never worked with SELinux before.
    I am a doctoral student in computer science, and as part of my
research project I have to install SELinux. I have a FC2 (2.6.6 kernel)
machine. I downloaded, compiled and installed an SELinux-patched 2.6.6
kernel from NSA, then I installed the user utilities (policycoreutils,
libselinux, etc -- downloaded from NSA's website as well). Since I have
FC2, I am assuming that I don't need to install patched utitilies, since
they are now included into FC2.  I only have  root user at this point,
so I didn't edit the default policy file that came with the
installation. I just did a 'make relabel' and booted into the SELinux
kernel. If I just log in and run, for e.g., "ls -Z" I get the error that
the kernel has to support SELinux. If I then cd into
/etc/security/selinux/src/policy and do a "make load", then 'ls -Z' or
'id' work properly and show me the context. Now if I reboot, it the
system forgets what I just did, and I have to do a 'make load' again.
Something is not starting up at boot, I would guess. I tried 'selinux=1'
at boot, but that doesn't change anything.

I would really appreciate it it anyone has any suggestions.

thanks a lot,
Olga Gelbart
Department of Computer Science
The George Washington University