Has the boot param syntax/semantics changed?

Stephen Smalley sds at epoch.ncsc.mil
Tue Jun 29 14:08:48 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 10:03, Bob Gustafson wrote:
> Hmm, that looks pretty useful.
>
> I wonder what it would have looked like with the wrong values in the
> /etc/selinux/config?

For the SELINUXTYPE=, there is no fixed set of legitimate values,
because anyone might install their own "foo" policy under /etc/selinux.
So with SELINUXTYPE=permissive, you would have just seen output like:
policypath="/etc/selinux/permissive"
default_type_path="/etc/selinux/permissive/contexts/default_type"

> And to what effect?

Since the "permissive" directory didn't exist, init wouldn't be able to
load a policy.  If enforcing, then init should have died immediately
with an error.  If permissive, it should have logged a warning and
proceeded in permissive with no policy loaded.

> I did not see any failures, but clearly I had the wrong values in my
> /etc/selinux/config file:

It likely wouldn't be captured in /var/log/messages, since this is
happening _before_ syslogd is started.  But there should be a message on
the console (but I agree that I also do not see one, so this is a bug).

--
Stephen Smalley <sds at epoch.ncsc.mil>