up2date, Large Medium and small updates....

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 01:40:58 UTC 2004

Today up2date found a very long list of package updates
on rawhide 500+ for me.

Since the box is a test box ... I let it.

I am curious if labels/attributes on all the new files
will be correct for SELinux after this and other up2date (rpm)
actions (excluding changes  to /etc/security/selinux/src/policy/....).

The more general question is that for  Large Medium and small updates....
there may always be a question when one or more "makes" in the policy
area will be needed.  Is there a good way to check... will make
check-all do the right thing?

   cd /etc/security/selinux/src/policy
   make ?????  # lots of choices...
   make relabel  # necessary? when and how to check ...

Is it necessary/useful to do stuff like this before or after a reboot?
Is there a difference from vanilla in how promptly a reboot and other
housecleaning for SELinux is needed?  i.e. will audit go nuts...

Also I have taken to adding an alternate boot section  in
/boot/grub/grub.conf.  Is this useful, useless, sane, silly,
underkill, overkill.  Thus...:

 title Fedora Core (2.6.3-2.1.246)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.3-2.1.246 ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.6.3-2.1.246.img
 title Fedora Core NoSELinux (2.6.3-2.1.246)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.3-2.1.246 ro root=LABEL=/ selinux=0
        initrd /initrd-2.6.3-2.1.246.img

Hmmm... too many questions for one subject line...

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48-at-sbcglobal-dot-net