ntp.... was Re: Fresh rawhide install / AVC messages

Steven Bonneville sbonnevi at redhat.com
Thu Mar 11 16:50:18 UTC 2004

Tom Mitchell <mitch48 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I might trust my dhcp server to give me an IP address but do I also
> want it to set the time of day.  Then what else do I trust it to do?
> How do I manage the list of things that dhcp might update?
>
> For example if I have a well crafted /etc/ntp.conf file will that file
> be lost if I move to a different DHCP served net.

I don't have FC2t1 handy at the moment, but on RHEL 3 I believe that you can
set the following options in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* files:

   PEERDNS=no   (/etc/resolv.conf)
   PEERNTP=no   (/etc/ntp.conf, /etc/ntp/step-tickers)
   PEERNIS=no   (/etc/yp.conf)

If set to no, then those files won't get modified even if appropriate
DHCP options are sent.  See /sbin/dhclient-script for details.

  -- Steve Bonneville