dmesg errors (sgi_fam)

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Thu Mar 18 04:01:37 UTC 2004

Russell Coker wrote:

>On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 22:39, Martin Ebourne <lists at ebourne.me.uk> wrote:
>

>>Russell Coker <russell at coker.com.au> wrote:
>>

>>>The problem is that famd is an application which accepts network
>>>connections, wants read access to every file that any user can access.
>>>If you want to have a secure system you don't want many such programs.
>>>

>>Surely it doesn't need access to the file contents - just to stat them, so
>>access to directories (still a security issue, I agree).
>>

>Giving access to file names is still a security issue.  If it can run with
>only { getattr search } access to directories and getattr access to files
>then it won't be so bad.  Of course being able to remotely monitor what files
>someone is writing too also provides some issues (and for some files the
>names are predictable).

We have turned it off for test2 and intend to have a replacement.
Basically we need one that runs in user space and has access to all
files that
the user has access to.  Currently famd does stuff with portmapper and still
requires a network communication even if it is only allowing localhost.
In FC1 it was locked down to localhost.
We realize the that fam provides a needed feature, and are working to
replace it.

Dan