How to start using selinux?

Richard Hally rhally at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 25 19:09:18 UTC 2004

> Here are a couple of links to HOWTOs
>
> https://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=20372&group_id=21266
>
> https://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=21959&group_id=21266

Richard Hally

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	fedora-selinux-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:fedora-selinux-list-bounces at redhat.com]  On Behalf Of Gene
Czarcinski
Sent:	Thursday, March 25, 2004 12:21 PM
To:	fedora-selinux-list at redhat.com
Subject:	How to start using selinux?

OK, it is getting close to when FC2 Test2 is to be available so I thought I
would start playing with selinux.  Rather than try to update Test1 and get
it
right, I downloaded FC2 x86_64 development yesterday (finally, a mirror that
was current) and did an "everything" install with selinux set to
"permissive".

I had some initial problems with running kudzu so I have turned it off (not
run at bootup).  I saw the email about sgi_fam so I set it off also
(although
I still get a bunch of messages at bootup.

The system comes up fine in permissive mode so I tried changing
/etc/sysconfig/selinux to "enforcing".  Oops, lots more messages during
bootup and a lot of services failing startup.  Then I got this popup that
the
"gdm" user did not exist so gdm was not started.

I assume that the way things are suppose to work is that the system comes up
in enforcing mode the same way it would without selinux but that now I had
do things only with some kind of "role" for anything requiring special
privledges.

Is there any kind of "cookbook" that explains how to get started?  I looked
at
the stuff in selinux-doc but there is nothing simple there.

I am not sure what to report any problems against either.

OK, can anyone point me to any "hints" on how to get started?

Gene