FW: How to start using selinux?

Richard Hally rhally at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 25 22:49:12 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From:   fedora-selinux-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:fedora-selinux-list-bounces at redhat.com]  On Behalf Of Gene
Czarcinski
Sent:   Thursday, March 25, 2004 5:13 PM
To:     fedora-selinux-list at redhat.com
Subject:        Re: How to start using selinux?

https://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=20372&group_id=21266

https://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=21959&group_id=21266

>Thanks.  There are good but ..

>What I am looking for is something a bit more "cook bookish".  Since the
>default (current snapshot of FC2 development) is to install with selinux
set
>to enforcing, I am expecting the system to come up (it does not) and then
>some "cook book" instructions on setting things up so I can begin plying
with
>things.  Right now if I bootup with selinux set to enforcing, I cannot do
>anything .. even login.

The recommended way to start off is in permissive mode. Kernel ...253.2.1
does not start in enforcing mode automatically by default.
>I was hoping to see something with selinux running where I could then work
>(play) with the system to understand selinux configuration and usage.

One thing you can do is duplicate the lines in grub for a particular kernel
and add ENFORCING to the title and enforcing=1 to the end of the kernel
line. That way you can start off in either mode.

The way to see which mode is to "cat /selinux/enforce"  0 is permissive.  To
change to enforcing while running "echo 1 > /selinux/enforce".

>Right now, booting up in single user mode is my most useful too since that
is
>the only way I have found to get out of enforcing mode.

<snip>

Richard Hally