experimental relaxed policy

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Mon May 3 22:29:26 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 16:16, Thomas Molina wrote:

> > One of the things we are considering is limiting the number of daemons
> > we will lock down.    We have picked out
> > an arbitrary number of 5 for now and are trying to figure out which are
> > the 5 daemons we would like to put in relaxed policy.
> >
> > My ideas are
> >
> > apache
> > bind
> > sendmail
> > ftp
> > ssh???  (Not sure this one is worth securing).
>
> I am apparently not expressing myself well.  My point is that if we are
> relaxing policy to the point where you are relying on DAC, what is the
> point?  I want to test strict policy on those things where it most makes a
> difference.  In that vein, sendmail and bind are two which have
> historically had a lot of problems.  I would think those would be
> candidates for stricter policy, not more permissive.

I think you are in violent agreement in some ways. Selinux people are
looking to write policies that lock down a small set of daemons
(sendmail/bind/apache/ftp/portmap) but have user space and other items
to end up with a permissive policy until wrinkles can be ironed out.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645
-- You should consider any operational computer to be a security problem --