policy and policy-source confusion

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Wed May 12 16:34:43 UTC 2004

Hello Thomas,

> If the rpmnew files should just be deleted, they shouldn't even be created
> in the first place.  In this case the policy package validates with the
> wrong set of files in place.

This is not entirely true. If you for example upgrade apache httpd.conf
will also be installed as httpd.conf.rpmnew, to save your modified
config file.

> In my opinion installing/updating one package shouldn't modify files
> belonging to another package.  If policy-source is going to do this it
> should be a specific action by the user post-installation, not a part of
> the installation process itself.

I thought I saw this in bugzilla, but can't find it. Maybe on IRC?
Thread on fedora-test/-devel? Dunno. Anyway, there are others who think
policy and policy-sources should mutually exclude each other.

Leonard.