policy packages

Karl MacMillan kmacmillan at tresys.com
Sat May 15 17:41:34 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Russell Coker" <russell at coker.com.au>
To: <fedora-selinux-list at redhat.com>
Cc: "Daniel J Walsh" <dwalsh at redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 11:01 PM
Subject: Re: policy packages

> On Thu, 13 May 2004 05:35, Richard Hally <rhally at mindspring.com> wrote:
> > Also, consider current practice where /etc/security/selinux/src is the
> > location for the policysources thus selinux/src should contain
> > /src/policy-x, policy-y and policy-z with /src/policy a link to any one
>
> I think we should use /etc/selinux as the sym-link to the policy
> source.  /etc/security/selinux/src is too much typing when you do any
serious
> policy work.

I am not against adding the symlink if /etc/security/selinux/src/policy
remains. Breaking that compatibility will be a  problem for us and others at
least in the short term and, if other distributions don't adopt the change,
a problem in the long term. All of our tools are easily configurable to find
the policy source wherever, but this makes it difficult to set defaults.
Also, I haven't seen what I thought was a compelling reason to break what
has been standard practice for a long time. If you do want to add a shorter
symlink, I think that it should be from /etc/security/selinux to
/etc/selinux so that in the future /etc/selinux/src and /etc/selinux/modules
can work nicely.

Karl