Running under diff. accounts or using SELinux

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Wed May 19 12:32:03 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 06:55, Mikkel Kruse Johnsen wrote:
> Hi All
>
> What is the relation between a process running under a system account
> or under domains ?

There's almost no relation.  However SELinux does have a concept of
"user identity" that is derived from the system accounts.  The SELinux
user identity is restricted to a set of roles, each of which stands for
a set of domains.  Thus there is a relationship, but not a very direct
or strong one :)

In the cases you talk about though, typically you wouldn't have a
SELinux user defined.

> Are these co-existing or can SELinux domains replace system accounts ?

Completely coexisting.

> Ex. can apache just use "root" as system account and use domains to
> rescrict it ?

Yes.

> Meaning do we need to have all these system account or can SELinux get
> rid of them ?
>
> Qmail is using 7 diff. system account, can I with SELinux just use
> "root" and have SELinux do the security !!!

Yes.

It's not recommended though - why throw away a level of security?