set/getxattrs - I am badly struck ..

Jaspreet Singh jsingh at ensim.com
Tue Nov 2 06:51:45 UTC 2004

Hi,

Thanx for the mail .. i have corrected the problem using audit2allow ..
basically the domain needed permissions to access file-system.

Could you please help in this case .. I am struck in kernel space
get/setxattrs (FC3-2.6.8-541 fs=etx3)

Should there be a difference between using user-space and kernel-space
get/setxattrs to get/set file xattrs ...

I have some trouble with using inode->i_op->get/setxattrs ...

i getxattr from /home and set it to /var/home using inode operations and
get this -

ls -Zd /home /var/home
drwxr-xr-x+ root     root  system_u:object_r:home_root_t    /home/
drwxr-xr-x+ root     root  system_u:object_r:home_root_t    /var/home/

perfect till now .. but now when i try and create files inside /var/home
they get the "root:object_r:var_t" unlike /home where i get
"root:object_r:user_home_dir_t"  :-(

and on the contrary if i create /var/home and tag with "home_root_t"
using setfiles it works perfectly fine ... any clues

I cant use user-space get/setxattr coz I am writing a overlay
file-system ... so ....

Does selinux intercept (and probably note down ) get/setxattrs syscalls
or any of the type_tranistions.

any suggestions ....

Jaspreet Singh