httpd avc denied problem

Arthur Stephens astephens at ptera.net
Mon Nov 29 20:54:15 UTC 2004

>> I am new to SELinux and Fedora 3 - setting up a replacement server for
the one that got hacked
>> I transfered our websites over and discovered I had to have them all
under /usr/www/

>>Who or what does tell you this should be this way? /usr/ is the wrong
>>place.

Ok I moved everything under /var/www..
ran fixfiles
changed everything under httpd.conf to point to /var/www/...
I got the same error messages just different directories

Being desperate to get this working I copied the error_log from a directory
that was working
ran fixfiles
and got avc:  denied  { append }
(13)Permission denied: httpd: could not open error log file
/var/www/spokanewines.com/logs/error_log.
Unable to open logs

[root at webmail ~]# cd /var/www/spokanewines.com/logs/
[root at webmail logs]# ls -alZ
drwxr-xr-x  root     root     system_u:object_r:httpd_sys_content_t .
drwxrwxrwx  root     root     system_u:object_r:httpd_sys_content_t ..
-rw-r--r--  root     root     system_u:object_r:httpd_sys_content_t
access_log
-rw-r--r--  root     root     system_u:object_r:httpd_sys_content_t
error_log

I tried to run
system-config-securitylevel
but there are no references to Boolean options for Apache HTTP
just firewall options.

Arthur Stephens
Sales Technician
Ptera Wireless Internet