prelink and yum conflict

Jeff Johnson n3npq at nc.rr.com
Tue Oct 12 14:44:32 UTC 2004

Stephen Smalley wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 10:03, Jeff Johnson wrote:
>

>>Better still, how about libselinux_execve() clone. no reason why libselinux
>>should not do the execve as well afaict.
>>

>Hmmm..that lends itself to interface spread, as people will then want
>libselinux_execl*, libselinux_execvp, ... and possibly even
>libselinux_popen, as opposed to just a setexeccon-like function that can
>be called prior to any of those normal calls.  We actually had
>execve_secure() in the old SELinux API, but were forced to migrate to
>setexeccon();execve(); as part of mainstream inclusion.

Interface spread appreciated, but whether application or library does
execve(2) is
pehaps not the important issue.

A hook called afetr fork(2) to permit libselinux to change the execution
environment opaquely
is what rpm seeks, execve(2) clone is a rather natural way to define the
necessary API imho.

But if you want rpm (or application) to do its own execve(2), well, that
works too. The issue
for rpm is opaqueness, i.e. not compiling "rpm_script_t" and the
decision algorithm into rpmlib.

73 de Jeff