SELinux Testing Software/Scripts

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Oct 17 14:04:20 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 03:01:54AM +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >  as i understand it, there is no "escalation" present in SE/Linux,
> >  only that assigned in the minds of us humans.
> [...]
> >  that's a bit different from "escalating privilege" because that implies
> >  hierarchy, which SE/Linux doesn't have, per-se.
>
> As long as you have roles with certain higher privileges (for example
> writing to configuration files, binding to arbitrary ports, loading a
> new policy...) there is privilege escalation.

> Privilege escalation just means getting more rights than you were
> supposed to get.

 ohright, okay: then my statement is incorrect and it is more that
 policy writers need to get their policies right, by not allowing more
 than is needed!

> You usually don't care about losing access rights,
> because you could have done things there earlier. Its only about getting
> a privilege you want to have.

 my point is that selinux allows that [to go from one domain to the
 next, losing all previous rights of the prior domain and gaining those
 of the next domain].

 which is not a "normal" security system so to speak: i'd consider
 "normal" to be that you get given more privileges by going to a
 "higher" privileged state [but i'm not saying "normal" is "good"].

 l.

Truth, honesty and respect are rare commodities that all spring from
the same well: Love.  If you love yourself and everyone and everything
around you, funnily and coincidentally enough, life gets a lot better.